This is probably not news to you, but Americans are at an all-time high when it comes to stress, worry, and anger. It has been said that if you want to gauge the emotional climate of people look at what is happening locally and nationally; is it any wonder we feel this way! Watching the news on any given night offers more anxiety and things to worry about than it does hope. The 2018 Gallup Global Emotions Report states that about “55% of Americans felt stressed about their lives which is a record high for this country.” People are feeling anxious, stressed or angry about the state of the things that are happening in their lives and in the world.
This of course is not everyone, but on a daily basis many will say that they we are experiencing a high level of anxiety and stress. Unfortunately, we don’t come with a guidebook that can help us maneuver through these emotions.
Where do you turn for help when things get overwhelming? I know for many turning to faith in God is an important way to deal with the stress and uncertainly of the world. This is a favorite Bible verse that I like. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit”. Romans 15:13
Over time, I have also learned that in addition to having a strong faith, you must also act on your own behalf to improve your situation. Our ability to face stress, worry and anger allows us make decisions about daily living that allows you to look beyond current circumstances and foster joy. This is our greatest asset to living with more abundance and joy. For many, it is not automatic to see joy when things are hard; it is something that needs to be practiced by:
- Make a daily intention to invite joy into your life.
- Give yourself time to play and to do the things that make you happy.
- Express gratitude on a regular basis for the goodness that is in your life, including those who love and support you.
- Choose to look at life with a sense of awe and the wonder of a child.
- Connect regularly God and practice your faith.
- Send blessings to anything that is causing you discomfort, and refuse to carry any anger by taking steps to resolve it.
- Acknowledge and connect to the LIGHT that is within you, and allow that to flow from you out into the world.
- Expect the miraculous to happen.
It is easy to get stuck in the hard places of life. However, it is with faith and awareness that we have the knowledge to choose to practice ways that helps us move past stress and into cultivating joy. Wishing you joy in your life!
For more inspiration reads check out my book, Change Your Perspective, Change Your Life – 52 Inspiring Ways for YOU to action. Available on Amazon: