What Are Your Guiding Principles?
You might not give much thought to this question, yet the words we speak and the actions we take are a reflection of what we value. I am fascinated by people’s stories especially the ones that tell me about what or who inspired or influenced them to become the people they did. I recently picked up the book, In My Own Words, a story about the life of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As I read that book, it made me think about the people and experiences that have shaped my life.
My grandmother was a great teacher for me. She was not a warm or easy-going person, instead, she was firm and lived life by a set of rules she passed on to me. She taught me to:
- Tell the truth at all costs.
- Always do your best at whatever you are doing.
- Always leave a situation on good terms.
- Finish what you start.
- Put things you use away rather than let them sit around because there is a place for everything and everything in its place.
- Never lie because you will have to tell more lies to cover it up. In my life, I have realized that the common assumption is that you lie to protect the feelings of the other person but in reality, we also lie to protect ourselves from things we don’t want to deal with.
When I look at my life I see many many people and situations that have helped me become who I am. Have you ever met someone and you could tell that person had integrity just by the way they carry themselves and how they speak? My business mentor is that person! Every time I am with him I have no doubt bout who he is and what he stands for.
I am curious if you looked back in your life who has inspired you?
Who has taught you life lessons?
How has what they taught you influenced your life?
We don’t always think about the lessons we have learned daily, so they fade from our memory. One of the more difficult things to do is to keep these life lessons close to us so they can influence who we are and who we continually strive to become.
I have learned over and over again that your integrity as a person matters in everything you do. This is a constant journey to becoming who we are and that needs our constant attention.
Ideas to reflect on:
- Understand that every choice matters because it either pushes you closer to what you want or takes you away from it.
- Create a focus every day for your time and energy and keep it.
- Decide that you will not carry anything from today into tomorrow.
- When the day is done, it is done. You did the best you could and tomorrow you can start fresh.
I hope the ideas I have offered here will get you thinking about who your teachers have been and how your life has been influenced and changed because of them.
ARE YOU LOOKING TO GET BACK ON TRACK? I HAVE OPENED A FEW MORE COACHING SPOTS!
I have helped many people get back on track, especially after the pandemic. If you need a little help as life returns to a new normal, reply to this email and we can talk about how I can help you.